Does your apartment or condo community offer electric vehicle charging through eVgo? If not, we have one simple question: Why not?
Billions of dollars are being invested by auto manufacturers betting on the inevitability of widespread electric vehicle (EV) adoption. Sooner or later, professionals in the multifamily industry will need to deliver a solution to the charging needs of EV drivers or find themselves excluded from consideration by this consumer segment.
There are two ways to think about EV charging: shared charging or dedicated charging. Shared charging is a charging station in which a specific charger may be used by multiple EV drivers. Dedicated charging is a system of charging stations in which a specific charger is assigned to a single driver for their personal use.
eVgo believes that a dedicated charging solution best serves the needs of the resident and, therefore, best serves the needs of the property owner seeking to attract EV drivers to their communities. Why?
- Most dependable way to charge: If an apartment resident needs a charger they will likely need it every day.
- Most affordable way to charge: If an apartment resident needs a charger they will typically need to charge at least 2-3 hours per day. At current market rates $2-$3 per hour of charging in a pay-per-use model, an apartment resident could find themselves spending $150 or more per month on daily charges.
Our research shows that consumers – even the ones who don’t drive EVs – prefer doing business with companies who encourage environmental sustainability and help cut our dependence on foreign oil by installing electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure. Simply stated, they feel better about companies that offer EV charging stations. We think that translates into happier residents and more prospective residents!
Whether you’re the developer, owner or property manager of your multi-family housing location, eVgo is excited about helping getting your sites ready for thousands of EV-driving existing residents and helping your place become a magnet for attractive new residents.
Ready for EV (REV) Certified
Through our REV Certified program, eVgo helps multi-family building owners tell the world that their properties are ready to serve the needs of electric car drivers. And, even better, you can do it without investing in infrastructure ahead of the first resident’s request for service…or having to turn away prospective residents.
Here’s how it works:
- eVgo and the property representative agree on the best location for EV parking spaces.
- A licensed electrician determines the requirements for delivering power to those spaces and documents them in a plan that details costs and timing for installation.
- eVgo and property management begin promoting the community as REV-Certified.
- As soon as the first resident’s request for home EV charging is received, installation of the EV infrastructure begins. And because the design of the installation has already been prepared, installation can occur rapidly and resident expectations can be managed smoothly.
- The basic infrastructure is installed for the first resident, but additional charging docks will only be installed as needed. The result? You don’t end up dedicating parking spaces to EV parking that isn’t being used.
- When the resident leaves, eVgo will remove the charging unit.
eVgo Makes the Process Easy
eVgo enables property owners to deliver low-cost, zero-maintenance multi-family electric car charging solutions to their residents. A defined investment ends at the junction box. eVgo does the rest.
- We contract directly with the resident.
- We perform all installation and maintenance services.
- We rebate the cost of electricity back to the property.
- We provide a just-in-time charging station infrastructure. (That means we’ll install stations within 5 days of a residents request once the initial infrastructure has been installed.)
- We deliver on-going marketing and brand awareness.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that this is what’s known as a win-win situation. You promote your properties as ready to serve the needs of electric vehicle drivers without spending any money – not a penny – on infrastructure until the first tenant or prospective tenant requests service. EV-driving tenants enjoy an EV charging dock that’s dedicated to their use plus access to our market-wide EV charging network, based on their monthly plan subscription. How cool is that?
Turns out it’s not just EV-driving tenants who benefit from eVgo Freedom Station sites.
Additional benefits for managers include:
- The opportunity to offer additional benefits to residents at minimal cost
- The ability to show your commitment to green initiative or complement existing ones
- The chance to attract environmentally-conscious and affluent residents
EV charging solutions for condominiums generally require a customized approach, which we are highly experienced in. Please complete the condominium form and we’ll put together a proposal tailored especially for your needs.